Some little known facts, all of them true, but only some of them amusing, and even then only just so, about ODF 1.2, recently approved as a Committee Specification by the OASIS ODF TC:
- In producing OASIS ODF 1.2, we had 184 Technical Committee meetings, not including the numerous subcommittee meetings.
- During the development of ODF 1.2, the active TC membership grew by 78%.
- The ODF TC , during the ODF 1.2 work, had 76 members, from 17 countries, representing 23 companies or organizations, as well as 17 individual members. The sun never sets on the ODF TC.
- ODF TC members received 14,655 emails from the TC’s email list while working on ODF 1.2, including 474 notes with a post-script (PS), 113 with a post-post-script (PPS) and 13 with a post-post-post-script (PPPS), suggesting a new phrase for derangement: “going postscript”.
- ODF 1.2 has been out for public review a total of 210 days.
- The ODF TC resolved 1,822 public comments while working on ODF 1.2. We read every one of them.
- ODF 1.2 says “shall” 628 times, but says “please” only 14 times, making it one of the most discourteous specifications around.
- ODF 1.2 has 72 external normative references and 16 external non-normative references.
- If you printed out all of ODF 1.2 and laid the pages end-to-end, it would be approximately 20% taller than the Eiffel Tower. You would also probably be arrested.
- ODF 1.2′s OpenFormula knows how many imperial pints will fill a cubic light year. But please, drink only in moderation.
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.